Fort St. Joseph, a palisaded fort, was built of logs by French explorer Duluth in 1686 as the second white settlement in lower Michigan. Designed to control the strategic waterway of the St. Clair River and Lake Huron during the fur trade, it barred English traders from traveling to the upper lakes.
By 1687, Fort St. Joseph was the mobilization center for a war party of French and Native Americans. It was abandoned in 1688 and the site officially became part of Fort Gratiot in 1814.
Fort St. Joseph is an official Michigan Registered Historic Site and a historical marker was placed there in 1957.
Directions: Gratiot Park is on the corner of Gratiot and Hancock Ave