The Captain David Lester Residence is owned by the Lester~Brown Foundation, whose primary focus is to maintain the residence for the purpose of architectural and educational historical awareness for the citizens and visitors to Marine City, Michigan.
The residence is open for tours also available for private functions, weddings, etc, for groups of up to 50 people.
Captain Lester was a prominent entrepreneur
and citizen of Marine City. He was elected the first president of Marine
City in 1865, when the small town was first incorporated, and during
his lifetime he held other municipal offices such as trustee and Justice
of the Peace.
Captain David Lester’s most notable
contribution to the nautical history of the great lakes was the
launching of the VH Ketchum which his shipyard built. On April 16th,
1874, when it was launched at Marine City, it was the largest ship on
the Great Lakes at that time.